This year our show on DNA discovery is back, bringing hands on discovery of molecular and cellular biology to schools in Co. Galway!
Young explorers will have the chance to discover DNA by building a DNA double helix and extracting DNA from banana’s to take home. Every participant will practice all activities during an hour long interactive session.
Priorities will be given to Galway county schools which have not received the visit of a festival science show within the last two years. The Cell EXPLORERS roadshow is supported by a SFI Discover award.
Teachers must be in attendance at all times during events. The show is suitable for children aged 8 – 12
Suitable for: Primary School Students 3rd class to 6th class
Shows: 30 students, 1 hour duration
To book: www.galwayscience.ie/
- I loved when the cell EXPLORERS came to our school because we never get to do experiments and it was really fun working in groups.
- You did a great job and I want you to come back next year.
- It changed my view on science because it was really fun.
- The information was pitched at their level and the children were immediately engaged and interested.
- It was pitched at the children’s level. There was a perfect balance between theory and practical work. The session was highly organised with an instructor for every small group.
- I loved how each group had their own helper. This meant that each group were kept focused at all times and had guided assistance if and when needed. Session was hands-on! Children love to be involved
- It was very practical and an interesting topic for the children. The fact that they could go home with an actual DNA sample was very exciting for the kids. The session was very well organised and the demonstrators were great with the group
Also available at the 2014 Galway Science & Technology Final Day Exhibition on Sunday 23rd November at NUI Galway.