Bugs, Games and Banana DNA at Ireland’s largest Science Exhibition

Press Release

Monday, 21 November, 2016

Exhibition 4 photos 

The 19th Galway Science & Technology Festival will culminate with its final day Exhibition this Sunday, 27 November, at NUI Galway from 10am-6pm. World leading Galway companies, schools, colleges and research institutes will exhibit over 80 free interactive STEM demonstrations and science shows for all ages to enjoy.

Families are invited to come and explore the interactive exhibitions and over 30 science shows and workshops that include Magic Bubbles, Juiced Electricity, Banana DNA, Cell Explorers, Lego Robotics, 3D Tour of the Universe, True Physics, Dr Ken’s Maths Show, 3D Digital Design, Mad Scientist and the Bug Doctor.

An exciting new addition to this year’s Exhibition is the ‘Gaming Zone’ in the Bailey Allen Hall featuring world renowned Romero Games, creators of the famous Doom Game, and several fantastic games including Howling Hamster Games; Starcave Entertainment; Spooky Doorway; Tribal City Interactive; Peripheral Labs; Xeerroh Games; Hot Cereal Games; 9th Impact; Estabanatwork Games and Dunbar Games.

Interactive exhibitions by world leading companies will include the Festival’s main sponsor Medtronic, and festival partners Boston Scientific, Cisco, Fidelity, Creganna Medical, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Aerogen and Valeo. Local educational institutes exhibiting include event host NUI Galway, and GMIT and the Marine Institute.

NUI Galway’s exhibition in the Bailey Allen Hall will feature the Galway Energy Efficient Car (GEEC) and its design team. Visitors can explore a marine habitat, look at blood cells under the microscope, create some mathematical art to take home, interact with robots and witness some amazing physics up close.

GMIT’s exhibition and workshops will provide an interactive learning and development space where visitors can explore a range of science, technology and engineering activities including a Laser Grid Experience and Building Apps.

The Marine Institute’s INFOMAR mapping team, using Xbox gaming technology and a sandbox, will show visitors how to forge instant 3D maps in the sand reflecting the depths and features of the ocean floor that are thousands of metres beneath the Atlantic Ocean. A model of Ireland’s national research vessel RV Celtic Explorer, the ship used in Ireland’s marine research, will be on display at the Exhibition.

Over 24 primary and secondary schools from Galway City and County will exhibit and demonstrate their innovative science and engineering projects.

A Digital Makers space will promote the digital creativity being undertaken by young people in Galway in areas such as electronics, 3D printing and computer coding. Groups include Athenry Coderdojo, Galway City Coderdojo, 091 Labs (embracing hackerspace), Galway Techspace (in association with Foroige), Galway Gaming Tribes and CompSoc, NUI Galway.

Visit the ReelLIFE SCIENCE cinema to watch a special screening of the best short science videos from the 2016 ReelLIFE SCIENCE schools video competition. More than 200 fun science videos were produced by 2,000 primary and secondary school students in over 100 schools across Ireland.

Chairman of Galway Science & Technology Festival, Tom Hyland said: “We look forward to welcoming everyone to join us at our final day Exhibition in NUI Galway where we promise a fantastic day of fun and interactive learning. I would like to sincerely thank Medtronic and all of our wonderful sponsors who enable us to bring this Festival and final day Exhibition for free to so many young people and schools.

“Our aim is to encourage and spark an interest in STEM subjects among students and hopefully they will become the innovators of the future making the world a better place.”

The main exhibition areas will be located in The Bailey Allen Hall and Orbsen Building at NUI Galway and venues presenting family STEM shows and workshops will take place in the IT Building, Arts & Science Concourse and Aula Maxima.

Over 70% of tickets for free shows and workshops were released last Saturday online with over 7,000 bookings made on the day. The remaining 30% of free tickets can be availed of on arrival to the Exhibition on Sunday.

 

Follow on Twitter @galwaysciencefe and on www.facebook.com/galwayscience